15th May 2013
2nd May 2013
A whistle stop tour through some of the news that has either grabbed my attention or 'technically' it fits our musical blueprint.
- The American's are coming....alright so we're not on their axis of evil (did that end when Bush left office?), but progressive metallers Sleepers Awake are from Ohio and are about to hit the UK with their new album Transcension. Sadly the band are quoted as saying "We...very much enjoy visiting new places and people and drinking lots of shitty beer!", which makes you wonder why they bother leaving the US. However, if you want to hear what single The Fulcrum sounds like head over to their Bandcamp page now.
- Play to our base instinct and along comes Australian 3 piece all girl rock band Valentiine. Watching the video for Love Like it is no surprise to see a Nirvana sticker on one guitar and that's definitely a defining influence. It's a shame my ankle's playing up as they are also on a UK tour (see their website for details) and I might have turned up to swoon at them.
- Aliases might be a bit too djent for Harry, but I'm a sucker for a bit of a bargain and they have released single Exasperated as a name your price download (so potentially free) from the delightful people at Basick Records.
- Biker rock - er...hmm...well...if you must...video from Valve Rider's single Bring it on Heavy on YouTube, but don't forget it's 2013 and you've not been in a time machine.
- Back in June 2012 we brought you a review of Secret Rivals' EP Make Do and Mend. With their debut album just released (funded through the Pledge Music initiative) you can have a quick preview of single These Are Only Obstacles over at YouTube.
- Dangerously L.A.C are being compared to Billy Bragg and Paul Weller, so if you want to test that notion then watch the video for Borstal Boy from their debut EP; which is out on 6 May 2013.
- The second Australian band in this roundup is the tongue-twist titled Hungry Kids of Hungary. The band are soaked in indie pop and their video for Sharp Shooter features a deer's head - what more could you want?!? Well you could always catch them on their live UK dates which are on their Facebook page.
- Finally I bring you a very quiet and calming ending, in the beautifully shot and played single Hopeless from TE Morris. It's hosted on Vimeo which makes a nice change and it is one of the most endearing videos, simplistic in its creation, but breathtaking wonderful.
1st May 2013
Whether it was the sight of John Torode's gaping mouth before a fork full of food is shoveled down, or maybe it was the sight of Gregg Wallace's glasses steaming as he orgasmed over another pudding, no doubt created by some 'easy-on-the-eye' amateur cook - either way Jimbo has lost the plot and reviewed Cut Yourself in Half's debut album Mekkanizm in a rather fanciful style...
19th Apr 2013
19th Apr 2013
inally hear the first original music created by Ozzy with Black Sabbath since 1998's Reunion record.
Check out God Is Dead? below. I really like it. Though to be honest I can't help but feel Ronnie James Dio (RIP) would have made it much more epic - as would Tony Martin. Some cracking riff work by Iommi and Butler though. This is a different version you may have heard elsewhere as there is some lead guitar on it.
Any road up, check out the new song and tell us what you think.
Harry's review catchup Darkthrone, Odessa, Sons of Aeon, Hanging Garden, The Omega Experiment, Hatchet, Wolvespirit
17th Apr 2013
You've heard all the excuses. All my kids got sick - one at a time - then I caught the lurgy. A few weeks of sinusitis where I was practically deaf, followed then by a week of (real) flu, then a holiday in Wales - has led to something of a backlog (and a convoluted sentence). I'm back now though and raring to go.
Time to face the backlog, some of which I'd heard before all the drama above, some I've just had a chance of listening to. But finally I get to tell you what I think of these records that have been piling up here. So without further ado, let's have at it.
16th Apr 2013
Sneaking into the fairly new category are Leeds band Mahogany Hand Glider who have an excellent offer on their latest EP Naked Huf, "How excellent?" I hear you cry, well excellent enough for it to be free! If you take a look after the jump, you'll find: Jimbo; a video; a link; and a few random words all thrown into the mix.
15th Apr 2013
Hello, long time no see. I'm back from the flu and a family holiday. It's rather lovely for my first post in a while to being you some proper music in the form of some new Amon Amarth.
Everyone's favourite vikings are back with a new album and we've details and a stream of the title track Deceiver of the Gods after the jump.
11th Apr 2013
Possibly making up for lost time and three albums in as many years, Mike Marlin shows no sign of stopping just yet. Jimbo is given the duty of picking out the highlights of the latest album Grand Reveal, but it seems he's not the only one to start shouting about Mr Marlin, all will be revealed after the jump.
10th Apr 2013